Kent | Permanent
Salary: £22000 to 25000 per Year
In today’s world of transportation and supply chain, things will inevitably go wrong (remember the ship getting stuck in the Suez Canal in 2021?). This role will see you supporting experienced insurance specialists as they process claims from review through to settlement.
This will include liaising with and developing relationships with lawyers, supply chain & logistics companies, and others; giving guidance; preparing documentation and correspondence; negotiation and general organisation of the claim.
You will collect information and documents to help in the pursuit of investigation, assist with marketing for your department and the company, with a clear progression route you will be able to thrive and develop in this role.
Full training for the role will be provided, this includes training for the internal software that the company use.
Ideally, you will have graduated from a Law degree and may even have gone on to gain a specialist Masters in Maritime / Admiralty Law or Commercial Dispute Resolution. You should be able to demonstrate an understanding of or desire to work in, the insurance sector. You should be able to write a persuasive argument well, be organised, be able to negotiate as well as using your own initiative when working independently.
Your responsibilities will vary, typical activities may include:
- Processing new claim notifications, investigations into case including: Salvage, Recovery and General.
- Reviewing cases and assessing the potential legal liability of parties involved.
- Providing guidance to clients including but not limited to advice on general prospects, legal time bars, liability limits and any requirements/recommendations for security, vessel arrest or litigation.
- Collating of documents and correspondence for submission to carriers, shipping lines, P&I Clubs, freight forwarders and other third parties worldwide.
- Monitoring of legal time bars and case progress.
- Liaising with lawyers and other agents
- Collecting of further information and documents to proceed/assist with investigation where required.
- Negotiating settlement of claims in accordance with contractual terms, national and international law and/or on a commercial basis where appropriate.
- Ensuring the client receives excellent service in accordance with industry and company guidelines.
- Marketing of the department and company.
- Ensuring in-house and client systems are kept fully up to date.
- Operating effectively and efficiently in a ‘paper-light’ environment.
- Building and maintaining good working relationships with shipping lines, P&I clubs, freight forwarders, insurers, solicitors, as well as other legal/claims professionals.
- Adhering to legal requirements, industry regulations and customer quality standards set by the company.
- Undergraduate Degree or an equivalent qualification (Law Degree encouraged)
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Excellent language and writing skills
- Capable of effective negotiations
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word & Excel
- Able to integrate within a team and able to work on your own initiative
- A friendly and helpful approach