Something old, something new…
The idea of paid internships for students and graduates seems standard these days, but 30 years ago, it was quite revolutionary. It was in 1986 that the Step programme began as an enterprise initiative from Shell UK, designed to provide short-term internships for students with smaller businesses in the UK.
Things have moved on since then and Step now operates independently as a sustainable business model. However, that ethos of connecting students and businesses, that brought Step to life in 1986, remains just as strong.
How we work
We work collaboratively with employers, universities and of course, students and graduates to provide roles that offer genuine opportunities for development, hands-on experience and responsibility. We offer:
- 8-12 week paid internships
- 6-12 month paid placements
- Permanent graduate roles.
We work across the UK, providing roles in: Marketing, Sales, Finance, Engineering, Computing, Business, Design, Politics, Science and many others.
- If you’re a student or graduate, you can visit our opportunities page to see our latest roles or click here to find out more about how we can support your career.
- If you’re an employer, you can find more information on how we can support your student and graduate recruitment here as well as a full list of our services and fees here.
- If you’re a university contact, please visit this page to see how we might be able to collaborate.